Maritime professional will lead the next generation of global security solutions
Herndon, Virginia – August 30, 2012 — The AdvanFort Company today announced that maritime professional William Hughes (Will) Watson has joined the company as president. Will comes to AdvanFort from the Office of the Maritime Administrator of the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) where he has been Deputy Commissioner of Maritime Affairs and Special Agent since 2009. Additionally, Will served as delegate of the RMI to the United Nations Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (CGPCS) and coordinated counter piracy and terrorist activities at International Registries, Inc. (IRI) and Maritime Security Liaison. He will be responsible for the global strategy and continued expansion of AdvanFort as a maritime security leader.
Will continues his responsibilities as Vice President of Government Affairs and Governor with the Maritime Security Council, where he represents the Maritime Industry on the National Council of ISACs (Information Sharing & Analysis Centers). Prior to his time with the Marshall Islands Registry, Will was a maritime journalist, having spent years with Lloyd's Register - Fairplay and later, IHS - Fairplay as Deputy Editor - Americas. Will has appeared on television, radio and been cited in print journals as an expert on the maritime industry in general and maritime security / counter piracy.
"I am honored to have been asked to lead the team of professionals at AdvanFort. Our highly trained and experienced executive, management and operational staff and consultants understand their mission is to protect and safeguard the lives and livelihoods of our clients. Moving forward, we will continue to deliver world-class maritime operations and security solutions that exceed our clients' complex needs," Will Watson said.
Will serves on the Advisory Board of the National Maritime Law Enforcement Academy; the Administrative Board of the Apostleship of the Sea (AOS - USA); the Maritime Working Group steering committee of the U.S. State Department's Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC); and is a member of Oceans Beyond Piracy Working Group. He has lectured at the International Maritime Law Institute, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy / GMATS and the Maritime Institute of Technology and Graduate Studies. Will is actively involved in the Council of American Master Mariners and the Propeller Club of the U.S. He is an alumnus of the University of South Carolina and veteran of the US Air Force Reserve and the South Carolina Air National Guard.
AdvanFort Corporate Headquarters
1900 Campus Commons Dr.
First Floor, Reston, VA 20191
Phone +1 (703) 657-0100
- 12/ 27/ 2012 - Always at the ready: "AdvanFort witnesses latest Gulf of Oman pirate threats; moves quickly to protect clients-PDF"
- 12/ 26/ 2012 - Sponsored by AdvanFort: National Press Club inauguration of Piracy Daily: Maritime Security: "Today's Victories and Tomorrow's Challenges-PDF"
- 10/ 19/ 2012 - Interview with Former Pirate Alley Commander Terry McKnight
- 10/ 19/ 2012 - Former Pirate Alley Commander Terry McKnight
- 09/ 12/ 2012 - AdvanFort Implements Quality Assurance Program
- 09/ 12/ 2012 - AdvanFort President to Lead Next Generation of Maritime Security
- 04/ 05/ 2011 - AdvanFort Achieves Milestone for Monthly Onboard Escort Missions
- 02/ 25/ 2011 - AdvanFort Counter-Piracy with New Endurance Vessels
- 11/ 12/ 2010 - AdvanFort Vice President chairs Anti-piracy Conference. Highlighted Best Management Practices against Piracy and sustainable strategy to address maritime security